[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio runs as mpd user after login

Maystar at web.de Maystar at web.de
Fri Jul 22 01:12:25 PDT 2011

Hey,

I'm running the latest kubuntu version on my machine with pulseaudio
0.9.22. For log-in I use the standard kdm. Since I've installed mpd, this
daemon starts already while I'm booting the system. This is nice because I
can listen music without log in. Unfortunately mpd starts pulseaudio as
the user mpd and this instance is still running, if I'm logged in with my
normal user account. Because this process blocks my sound card, all my
user processes can't create any sound. So I have to stop mpd or kill the
pulseaudio process of mpd to get my sound back. Both must be done as root
after each boot. This is very inconvenient! Does anyone know a way to kill
mpd's pulseaudio process on login?

Thank
Fabian