[pulseaudio-discuss] How to redirect pulse audio through ssh?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon May 23 01:29:43 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Quinn Plattel at 23/05/11 05:52 did gyre and gimble:
> HI.
>
> Last post on this thread, then I will start a new one.
> I managed to cut down the delay considerably by simplifying the commands:
>
> local sound server: ssh -L 5901:localhost 5901 -L 1234:localhost:1234
> <remote sound client> *parec | nc -l 1234"
> local sound server: nc localhost 1234 | pacat
>
> The advantage with this is that the volume can be controlled manually
> with the local sound server's volume control and the delay is cut down
> to 3-5 seconds.

The commands and procedure I outlined before is working fine and is free
from bizarre work arounds. I'm not sure if the protocol error you are
getting is coming form a bug in the client side or the server side, but
either way it can be easily fixed if it's debugged appropriately.

The lack of a cookie can be solved in several ways (e.g. by copying the
~/.pulse_cookie file between machines, or by setting up anonymous
authentication when loading the TCP protocol module).

I don't think your workaround (while creative) is the right way to go.
Far a start parec|pacat has no dynamic sample rate adjustments to
compensate for different clocks.

Also with the parec command it seems you are connecting to to the remote
PA daemon and recording from a monitor source (assuming no real source
exists on the machine, the monitor source would be the default) so as to
capture the sound which you then play back via pacat on the local
system. If that's the case then you're already talking to the wrong PA
daemon. As I said in my previous mail any client that runs on the remote
system should connect *directly* (via SSH tunnel) to the remote PA. I'm
sure it wouldn't take too long to work out the incompatibilities between
the two protocol versions, but perhaps the one in Maemo has some kind of
customisation applied on top that makes it generally incompatible?

In general the protocol is backwards compatible and while I'd have to
look, I'm not aware of any specific incompatibilities between 0.9.21 and
0.9.15....

But if you cannot work out the protocol error here, I guess you're work
around is the easiest option :s

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]