[pulseaudio-discuss] Hardware support, resampling, bit-for-bit

CC ccomren at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 02:57:58 PDT 2011

> I'm curious -- do you notice a perceivable difference between the two?

I haven't built the system yet. I'd like to set it up correctly the first
time.

I would assume to not notice a difference right away. I imagine it similar
to getting used to MP3 compression: at first, you don't notice anything
weird with 128kbps, then you learn to recognize the artifacts, then you hate
them. Or pictures that are blurry because they were resized and not
postprocessed. I guess generically the best resampling filter is a windowed
sinc filter, and I know that they are noticeable in image processing. I
don't know yet if it's noticeable in audio, though.

Pierre-Louis Bossart has a bunch of patches that should land in the next
> major release that lets you dynamically switch sample rates on your
> device (with some caveats). This should handle most cases that you care
> about.

Yes, that would fit my use case nicely. I guess one could write plugins for
media software to try to set the sample rate of the device.

CC