[pulseaudio-discuss] create new source from sink + source

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Sep 19 09:24:15 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Pierre-Louis Bossart at 19/09/11 16:44 did gyre and
gimble:
>> I'm trying to take the input (source) from a device
>>
>> alsa_input.usb-Logitech_Logitech_G930_Headset-00-Headset.analog-mono
>>
>> and combine that with the output being directed to
>>
>> alsa_output.usb-Logitech_Logitech_G930_Headset-00-Headset.analog-stereo
>>
>> to form a new "source" from which I can direct to applications, e.g.
>> skype. (Basically, I'd like to play some sound over Skype while still
>> being able to have conversation.)
>
> I worked on something similar for the loopback module, it included a new
> 'uplink-sink' to mix music/tones with a source. It did not however take the
> samples from an actual output, you'd have to use module-combine to play on
> both sinks.
> If you are interested I can try to find it in my archives (I thought I had
> submitted it)

One other option is to do the following. I'm assuming you do not want to
hear the audio produced, hence the use of a null sink.

load-module module-null-sink sink_name=null
load-module module-combine sink_name=combine
slaves=alsa_output.usb-Logitech_Logitech_G930_Headset-00-Headset.analog-stereo,null
load-module module-loopback sink=null
source=alsa_input.usb-Logitech_Logitech_G930_Headset-00-Headset.analog-mono

Then you just set skype to use your null.monitor as for it's recording
sink and the application you want to record should output o the combine
sink.

This setup ensures that Skype records the product of both what is
playing on the combine sink and the mic.

Of course this would be a lot easier if there was a
module-combine-source, so patches welcome :D

Col.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]