[pulseaudio-discuss] No Pulseaudio on P3 system with ICH5 Sound Card

Martin McCormick martin at x.it.okstate.edu
Tue Jun 5 09:42:41 PDT 2012

	I have a Dell Pentium 3 with a 2004 BIOS on board that I
received from a family member and have been trying to get Debian
wheezy Linux to run and it almost does.

	To complicate things, I use the new kernel speakup
modules as a computer user who happens to be blind.

	This is actually the first new version of Debian I have
gotten to more or less work in a year.

	The speakup modules provide a screen reader to read the
consoles and this actually does work in command-line mode. If I
am root, I can get mplayer to work just fine even while speakup
is reading the screen.

	There seems to be some issue with pulseaudio and the
Intel ICH5 sound card which otherwise does seem to work.

	BTW, you don't really want speakup reading the screen
while mplayer is running. It makes a mess of things but proves
that more than one audio stream can be processed at a time.

	Anyway, I have yet to see what a working pulseaudio
instance does so I appreciate any constructive suggestions.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer