[pulseaudio-discuss] No Pulseaudio on P3 system with ICH5 Sound Card

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jun 5 14:12:28 PDT 2012

Dear Martin,

Am Dienstag, den 05.06.2012, 11:42 -0500 schrieb Martin McCormick:
> 	I have a Dell Pentium 3 with a 2004 BIOS on board that I
> received from a family member and have been trying to get Debian
> wheezy Linux to run and it almost does.

just for non-Debian users. Wheezy is going to be the next stable Debian
release but has not been released yet. So currently that is Debian
testing.

> 	To complicate things, I use the new kernel speakup
> modules as a computer user who happens to be blind.

Links to such projects would be nice.

        $ aptitude show speakup-source
        Paket: speakup-source
        Neu: ja
        Zustand: nicht installiert
        Version: 3.1.5.dfsg.1-1
        Priorität: extra
        Bereich: admin
        Verwalter: Debian Accessibility Team <debian-accessibility at lists.debian.org>
        Architektur: all
        Unkomprimierte Größe: 115 k
        Hängt ab von: debhelper (>= 5.0.37), module-assistant, bzip2
        Schlägt vor: kernel-package
        Beschreibung: Source of the speakup kernel modules
         Speakup allows you to interact with applications and the GNU/Linux operating system with audible feedback from the console using a
         synthetic speech device.

         Speakup allows you to navigate around the screen using the typical screen review functions such as say word, say line, announce cursor
         position, which console your currently on, and much, much more. It also allows one to load in configuration parameters for controlling
         various aspects of the synthesizer you are using, as well as speakup itself.

         Currently, the following synthesizers are supported by speakup:
         * DoubleTalk PC/LT
         * LiteTalk
         * Accent PC/SA
         * Speakout
         * Artic Transport
         * Audapter
         * Braille 'N Speak / Type 'N Speak
         * Dectalk External and Express
         * the Apollo2

         This package provides the source code for the speakup kernel modules. Kernel source or headers are required to compile these modules. For
         basic install steps see /usr/share/doc/speakup-source/README.Debian.gz
        Homepage: http://linux-speakup.org/

> 	This is actually the first new version of Debian I have
> gotten to more or less work in a year.

Sorry, I do not understand what you mean by that.

> 	The speakup modules provide a screen reader to read the
> consoles and this actually does work in command-line mode. If I
> am root, I can get mplayer to work just fine even while speakup
> is reading the screen.
>
> 	There seems to be some issue with pulseaudio and the
> Intel ICH5 sound card which otherwise does seem to work.
>
> 	BTW, you don't really want speakup reading the screen
> while mplayer is running. It makes a mess of things but proves
> that more than one audio stream can be processed at a time.
>
> 	Anyway, I have yet to see what a working pulseaudio
> instance does so I appreciate any constructive suggestions.

So you are missing all the important information. What version of
PulseAudio do you use and what do you want to do? Do the above as the
normal user? Please give steps on how to reproduce your problem.

Then you should als provide logs which is described in the PulseAudio
Wiki [1].

Thanks,

Paul

PS: What is the advantage of formatting your message with such wide
hanging indents(?)?

[1] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/Community