[pulseaudio-discuss] arecord from monitor and sink

Arun Raghavan arun.raghavan at collabora.co.uk
Thu Nov 1 02:30:43 PDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-11-01 at 17:04 +0900, Amar Akshat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As we know, pulse recognizes every sound card's source as a source and
> a monitor device. We use monitor device to record any activity on that
> sound card's source.
>
> However, for a scenario like a sound card used for making a phone
> call, and we wish to record the entire ongoing conversation. In that
> case we need to capture both the streams, the source and sink. At
> first I thought, If I set PULSE_SOURCE as monitor and PULSE_SINK as
> the sink of the sound card, and then do
> arecord -D default > x.wav,
>
> both channels would be recorded. However that is not happening. Kindly
> suggest what is the best way to do it using pulse ?

You basically need to capture from the mic source as well as the monitor
source and then mix it. We don't have the ability to combine the two (we
do have module-combine-sink that lets you present several sinks as one),
so you'll either need to make a module-combine-source or just do mixing
yourself.

-- Arun