[pulseaudio-discuss] [RFC] Per-client flat-volumes control

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Wed Aug 6 06:10:23 PDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-08-06 at 15:45 +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le 2014-08-06 11:45, Tanu Kaskinen a écrit :
> > 3) Add a second volume control to streams, one which represents the
> > stream's own volume only, i.e. never flat volume. Applications that
> > want
> > to avoid flat volume can use that volume control instead of the
> > primary
> > volume control.
>
> Looking beyond HTML5, could that also cover per-stream replay gain?
>
> I mean, can applications both set the normal stream volume (as per user
> interaction) and the second stream volume (as per something else), and
> expect things to work?

First of all, some terminology. I don't want to keep talking about "the
second volume"... I'll call the second stream volume "relative volume",
to distinguish it from the normal stream volume that can sometimes be
absolute in relation to the device volume. I've also been using
"relative_volume_control" as a variable name in the code I've written,
but other name ideas are welcome.

The answer to your question: no, the normal stream volume and the
relative volume are very tightly tied together (and when flat volumes
are not in use, they're exactly the same thing). You can't change one
without affecting the other, and both are expected to be
user-controlled.