[pulseaudio-discuss] Need help with audio gain on an Intel HDA equipt ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 11:21:14 PST 2014

2014/1/15 Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com>:
> Running an older ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS 32 bit build because a specially
> patched rtai kernel is mandatory for one app.  However, I am booted to a
> 32bit 3.12.6 build ATM.
>
> The Audigy2 Value (SBO-400) card, and my amps/3way speaker all went south
> for the winter in a space of about 3 weeks, so I bought another amplified
> 3way kit and switched the audio back to the intel HDA facilities on this
> motherboard.
>
> Is there anyplace where I might find another 20 db of gain?  Its so quiet,
> even a youtube video would never get me accused of disturbing the peace.

Please post the output of alsa-info.sh

The script is at
http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-driver.git;a=blob_plain;f=alsa/utils/alsa-info.sh;hb=refs/heads/build

Also, we need to know whether this is a problem with speakers that you
want to work around (which likely won't work), or a purely software
problem. As you are a Certified Electronics Technician, I assume that
you have a digital multimeter and a cable with a 3.5mm jack at one end
and just three wires on the other.

I want you to run this command:

speaker-test -c1 -t sine

and measure the output voltage of the card at its maximum volume in
three situations: with only an unloaded 3.5mm jack connected, with
typical 32-ohm headphones connected, and with your speakers connected.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov