Package prefix suggestions?

Harold L Hunt II harold at codeweavers.com
Mon Apr 5 12:24:56 PDT 2004

In packaging the release for Cygwin/X I need to have a prefix for the
package names (e.g. foo-bin, foo-xserv, etc.).  We currently use
"XFree86" (e.g. "XFree86-bar") as our prefix.  While my intentions of
drawing mutually beneficial attention to the upstream project from
Cygwin/X didn't pan out I am still leaning in the direction of doing
this again, mostly because I'm confident that we are creating an open
organization that won't become self destructive in the near future.

Therefore, the package names prefixes I am considering (in order of
preference) are as follows:

1) XOrg
2) X
3) X11

Is there any objection to using XOrg as our package prefix?  "X" is
pretty generic and works for me, but it won't draw any attention to the
X.Org Foundation.  "X11" seems overkill to be specifying the protocol
number in the package name.

If I don't hear back from anyone I'm probably going to go ahead with XOrg.

Thanks in advance for any input,

Harold