Proposals for release delay and extending committers list

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Mon Aug 23 13:08:28 PDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 01:56:39PM -0400, Kevin E Martin wrote:
> I would like to send the following message (below the --cut here-- line)
> to the xorg at fdo list this evening.  If anyone has any objections, please
> let me know today before 10pm EDT.

I received a private follow-up pointing out that the original release
date should be included so that people who are not intimately involved
in the release should not have to go on a fishing expedition to find
that info.  That is a very good suggestion.  I've updated the message
below the --cut here-- line with the date and a small clarification of
the info provided on the status page.

If anyone has any objections or corrections, please let me know today
before 10pm EDT.

> Also, the delay brings up another subject: Adding more people to the
> list of people who can check in code during the code freeze.  I could
> use some assistance as the number of bugs have increased (probably due
> to testing starting to pick up) and I'm still working out the problems
> with the X test suite results.  In addition, I have two trips scheduled
> for early September, and I don't want the release to be delayed while I
> am away.
>
> What do the other release wranglers think about this proposal?
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

--cut here--

The Subject: X.Org release status

There are still several technical issues and bugs to be worked out for
the upcoming release, which we feel are important to address but will
not be resolved before the original deadline (25 Aug 2004).  Therefore,
the release wranglers have agreed to slip the release date and remain in
the code freeze, while working out these issues.

We also need much more testing to meet our success criteria.  The
testing matrix, which can be found on the following Wiki page,

    http://wiki.freedesktop.org/XOrg/XorgReleaseStatus

currently has lots of red (i.e., untested platforms).  It would help us
greatly if we could get reports back on the build testing results.  The
status page (above) has instructions on how to perform the build tests.
Note that we encourage you to post successes/failures for any part of
the tests, and it is not necessary to go through the entire testing
procedure before reporting results.

Thank you for your help!