need a name for the server we build from the XFree86 ddx?

Stuart Kreitman release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Mon, 01 Mar 2004 15:58:41 -0800

"Mike A. Harris" wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>
> >  Xones - pronounced "Zones" or "ex ones", acronym for
> >     "X.Org's NEw Server" (or "New Enhanced Server" maybe)
> >
> >  Xoft - pronounced sort of like "soft" - X.Org Foundation Technology
> >
> >  Xing - pronounced "Zing" - X Implementation Next Generation
>
> I like Xing.

But its not a next generation, not yet for this first release.

uh, SIng? Sample Implementation Next Generation...

NOTE: This suggestion is 100% sarcastic.  At this very moment, I'm pushing
thru old X.org a motion to officially and on-record cancel furthur development
on the SI code base.  (this comment is not jump-the-gun, we've been dragging
this out for months)

My preference for the binary is "Xorg" which is consistent with the current usage:
"Xdec", "Xsun", "Xvfb", "Xprint", "Xnest", also, in a wierd linguistic sense:

X(DEC) ==> Xdec

X(SUN) ==> Xsun

... but then:

X(XFree86) ==> XFree86

X(XORG)  ==> Xorg

--
Stuart Kreitman
Sun Microsystems Inc. - X Window System Development