Differences to XFree86

Egbert Eich release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 11:26:02 +0100

Alan Coopersmith writes:

 > I was actually planning on bringing up the docs issue at the Arch Task
 > Force call today.  There's a few other differences in the standards docs
 > as well between X11R6.6 and the new trees, some of which have not (yet?)
 > been approved by the X.org standards processes, such as some of the UTF-8
 > changes.  I don't think we should issue the tree with docs that look like
 > the official standards docs, but aren't.  Perhaps the cleanest solution is
 > to simply split out the standards docs now and not include them in the
 > monolithic tree release.  Once we've formally approved the IPv6 & UTF-8
 > additions, we can then issue the standards docs as the X11R6.7 Standards
 > release, and keep their release train separate from that of any particular
 > implementation.
 >
 > (I've attached the diffs between X11R6.6 and the CVS tree tagged RELEASE-1.
 >   Many of the diffs are obviously trivially acceptable - formatting and
 >   typo fixes and the like.  Others are probably acceptable after a quick
 >   review by the arch task force, where some, like the utf8 functions in
 >   libX11 will obviously be more controversial.)

We need someone to go thru this issue.
We have agreed on reverting any of the UTF8 changes in the code.
We need to reach a decision and we need to do this quickly. Certainly
faster than the pace the Xorg arch team has been working in the past.

We should make sure the text accurately reflects the code we are shipping.
Everything else is secondary.

I'm not sure if it is a good idea to not ship any standard docs at all.
I've created an entry in the bugzilla and assigned it to you (#257), maybe
you can help us with this process.

Egbert.