Differences to XFree86

Alan Coopersmith release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Sun, 07 Mar 2004 12:06:02 -0800

Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> I was actually planning on bringing up the docs issue at the Arch Task
> Force call today.  There's a few other differences in the standards docs
> as well between X11R6.6 and the new trees, some of which have not (yet?)
> been approved by the X.org standards processes, such as some of the UTF-8
> changes.

I've gone through all the diffs I sent out last week.  The changes mainly
fall into three categories:
	1) UTF-8 support
	2) IPv6 support
	3) typo & formatting fixes

I see no reason to worry about the typo/formatting fixes so am leaving alone
for now those changes since they don't affect the substance of any specs.

For the rest of the changes, I've split them each out and filed bugzilla
entries for them - you can view the list at:
    http://freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/bugzilla/showdependencytree.cgi?id=257
(No, I can't explain why I marked IPv6 as an enhancement but UTF-8 as a bug.)

Should we assume the IPv6 changes will be formally approved by the time the
monolithic tree ships?  What about the UTF-8 changes?

Is "X11R6.7" the correct name for the version of the X11 Protocol and Library
standards that will be shipping in this release?

Also, what about the list of standards docs listed in the Standards man page?
http://pdx.freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/xc/doc/man/general/Standards.man?rev=1.1.4.1&cvsroot=xorg&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Should the PEX & XIE specs be purged from the standards & draft standards list?

--
	-Alan Coopersmith-          alan.coopersmith@sun.com
	 Sun Microsystems, Inc. -- Operating Platforms Group