CVS access policy, branching/tagging, code review, etc.

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Tue, 02 Mar 2004 08:29:25 -0500

 > This topic has been asked a lot recently by people in IRC and
 > elsewhere, but nobody is quite sure yet what exactly the official
 > answers are, or who in particular decides.  Since this is
 > intended to be an open community project, I figured the best
 > place to post my query was probably here for open discussion,
 > rather than to any specific individual(s).
 >
 > We need to put together guidelines for how:
 >
 > - Does one gain CVS write access to the repository, who needs to
 >   be contacted, what steps need to happen before access is
 >   granted (if any), who decides, etc.
 > - what the official do's and dont's are in the tree
 > - what happens if someone commits something non-trivial without
 >   proper code review, which others believe should not have been
 >  committed, or which horribly breaks the tree, etc.
 >  [etc, snipped]

Some of this -- e.g. how to gain CVS access -- is already answered in
the xorg wiki on fd.o. Some is implicit. Some has been talked about on
confcalls.

Read the wiki first and if you think something needs to be expanded on
or clarified please make suggestions. People who know the answers should
get a wiki account on fd.o and start adding to the wiki.

--

Kaleb