tinderbox information.

Jim Gettys release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Tue Mar 9 18:50:04 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 13:06, Egbert Eich wrote:
> I'm still trying to understand the build that takes place in
> tinderbox. It looks like it checks out pieces of the tree
> and does a 'make -k'.
> This has two disadvantages:
> 1. It doesn't stop on the problem, therefore the area
>    where the problem happened is not easy to spot.

I can make it do so; but then you only get the one problem when
there may be others lurking, and it will take longer to detect them.

You can check the raw log and search for ***.

But if people think it is better not to do a make -k,
I can go to a plain make, but I suspect that will slow things down.

> 2. The Makefiles don't get rebuild. If something was
>    changed within an Imakefile or config file it will
>    not show up in the logs.

This seems like a mistake: the Makefiles should be depending
on the Imakefiles, it would seem to me, and have them rebuild
if they have changed.  But I don't know what the current system
actually does in this area.

The tinderbox admin can request a "clobber" build any time,
which removes everything, does a full check out, and a "make World".
If you want to be an admin, just let me know.

I have memory that in theory clobbers are supposed to happen
once a day whether it needs it or not, but my memory may be
playing tricks on me.  I'll go look.
                       - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys@hp.com>