Depending on external libraries

Kendall Bennett release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Thu Mar 11 18:36:14 PST 2004

Keith Packard <keithp@keithp.com> wrote:

> > But for some poor schmo who loves X and just wants to get his feet wet
> > building the latest code from X.org or whatever, it can be a really serious
> > problem if the code won't build or even work if that developer has outdated
> > libraries.
>
> The correct solution here is a meta build-tool like jhbuild which
> ensures that the correct dependent versions of each service is
> built by fetching bits directly from upstream during the build
> process.

Assuming that you have somewhere to get an 'upstream' version from that
will be correct and work for what you need. What if getting the fixes
into the upstream project in a timely fashion is problematic, or if the
upstream project doesn't like the way you did something and rejects your
changes, but you have to continue with the current release plans?

> If you accept that we plan to move to the modular environment for
> the majority of development, then starting now by eliminating
> pieces which can easily be built independently will only help make
> that migration easier and less painful.

Oh, I am all for the modular build process, but I am just worried that if
you make things too fine graind and modular in terms of relying on tons
of external libraries just to get a basic build done, that you will
potentially have release timing issues with upstream projects that can't
be solved in time for an official release.

Maybe I am biased, but in my experience building a product based on the
wxWindows toolkit (now wxWidgets), we had no option *but* to fork the
toolkit and maintain our own separate version. We had major issues with
getting new additions to th wxWindows that we needed added to the
upstream versions, and every time we pulled down the latest upstream code
it took literally two weeks to get it working properly. Granted that
project needs a serious lesson in release engineering skills, but I would
hate to have to hold up a release of a new X.org server due to political
issues with an upstream project.

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~