Depending on external libraries

Daniel Stone release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Fri Mar 12 14:43:13 PST 2004

--tCj5P50694qw/4D5

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 06:49:49AM -0500, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
> Here, on one of my systems??, there is no expat, and no option to install=
=20
> it in a way that's remotely analogous to getting the RPM from the distro=
=20
> CD or a web site and installing it.

With OS X, you have systems like autopackage, and I'm *sure* there's a
port for BSD.

> On two other systems???? the only way to get it is to install the XFree86=
=20
> packages, and then it's installed in /usr/X11R6/lib, not in /usr/lib.=20
> (Therefore Egbert's recent change in the -RELEASE-1 tree that assumes=20
> headers are in /usr/include doesn't work.)
>=20
> Having to install XFree86 on these systems to resolve dependencies to=20
> build our X seems just a little bit silly to me.

Sure, so don't do it.

> Oh, of course I could always just go track down the expat source, build=
=20
> it, and install it. (So please don't bother to tell me that that's all I=
=20
> need to do.)

Or type something like 'jhbuild install expat', or whatever.

> You guys that are pro-modular-tree keep citing "how easy it (the modular=
=20
> tree) makes things for people who want to work on the source." Well,=20
> having these dependencies in the monolithic tree makes things easier=20
> too. As big advocates of "making things easier" as you are, I expect=20
> this argument will make perfect sense to you.

Casting this as 'us vs them' is divisive and unproductive.

> Having the build automatically build them too also makes things easier.

Yes, in some regards. In others, it makes it more complicated.

> Asking people to edit their site.def or host.def to not build something=
=20
> isn't asking too much IMO if a system already has the needed dependency.=
=20
> That's a heck of a lot easier than having to hunt down the source for=20
> something, build it, and install it.

Or typing one line. Hell, if you have a jhbuild X.Org recipe, you just
type 'jhbuild install xorg', or whatever.

> If it takes a little more work for "us" to make it easier for our=20
> "customers" then the choice should be obvious.

Sure - easier for the 'customers'?

--=20
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel@freedesktop=
.org>