Depending on external libraries

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Fri Mar 12 16:18:54 PST 2004

Daniel Stone wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 06:49:49AM -0500, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
>
>>Here, on one of my systems??, there is no expat, and no option to install
>>it in a way that's remotely analogous to getting the RPM from the distro
>>CD or a web site and installing it.
>

> With OS X, you have systems like autopackage, and I'm *sure* there's a
> port for BSD.

No, this is Solaris.

>>Oh, of course I could always just go track down the expat source, build
>>it, and install it. (So please don't bother to tell me that that's all I
>>need to do.)
>

> Or type something like 'jhbuild install expat', or whatever.

You're just moving the problem. Now it's hunt down and build jhbuild first.

>>You guys that are pro-modular-tree keep citing "how easy it (the modular
>>tree) makes things for people who want to work on the source." Well,
>>having these dependencies in the monolithic tree makes things easier
>>too. As big advocates of "making things easier" as you are, I expect
>>this argument will make perfect sense to you.
>

> Casting this as 'us vs them' is divisive and unproductive.

Don't be silly. There is a group of people who are pro the modular tree,
and that is their argument. And if that argument (easier) is valid for
them, then it is valid here too. And I didn't cast this as 'us vs.
them.' (You may have chosen to infer that however. Not much I can do
about that.)

>>Having the build automatically build them too also makes things easier.
>

> Yes, in some regards. In others, it makes it more complicated.

Yes, it requires the builder to made a simple edit to their site.def
file. In the grand scheme of things, not very complicated at all.

>>Asking people to edit their site.def or host.def to not build something
>>isn't asking too much IMO if a system already has the needed dependency.
>>That's a heck of a lot easier than having to hunt down the source for
>>something, build it, and install it.
>

> Or typing one line. Hell, if you have a jhbuild X.Org recipe, you just
> type 'jhbuild install xorg', or whatever.

There is no jhbuild on the boxes I cited. Telling me I've got to go get
it before I can build is a lot more complicated than it needs to be.