Depending on external libraries

Daniel Stone release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Sat Mar 13 02:32:16 PST 2004

--/qX1VF4Euib7a2dq

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 11:18:54AM -0500, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
> Daniel Stone wrote:
> >On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 06:49:49AM -0500, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
> >>Here, on one of my systems??, there is no expat, and no option to insta=
ll=20
> >>it in a way that's remotely analogous to getting the RPM from the distr=
o=20
> >>CD or a web site and installing it.
> >
> >With OS X, you have systems like autopackage, and I'm *sure* there's a
> >port for BSD.
>=20
> No, this is Solaris.

Mea culpa.

> >>Oh, of course I could always just go track down the expat source, build=
=20
> >>it, and install it. (So please don't bother to tell me that that's all =
I=20
> >>need to do.)
> >
> >Or type something like 'jhbuild install expat', or whatever.
>=20
> You're just moving the problem. Now it's hunt down and build jhbuild firs=
t.

Yes, but jhbuild is so useful in so many situations, and it's really not
hard to find (Google), or build (a few seconds).

> >>You guys that are pro-modular-tree keep citing "how easy it (the modula=
r=20
> >>tree) makes things for people who want to work on the source." Well,=20
> >>having these dependencies in the monolithic tree makes things easier=20
> >>too. As big advocates of "making things easier" as you are, I expect=20
> >>this argument will make perfect sense to you.
> >
> >Casting this as 'us vs them' is divisive and unproductive.
>=20
> Don't be silly. There is a group of people who are pro the modular tree,=
=20
> and that is their argument. And if that argument (easier) is valid for=20
> them, then it is valid here too. And I didn't cast this as 'us vs.=20
> them.' (You may have chosen to infer that however. Not much I can do=20
> about that.)

You said 'you guys that are pro-modular-tree', and tried to stuff
arguments into our mouth. BTW, running 'jhbuild install xorg', or
whatever the single command is, is far easier than hunting down the
X.Org tarball, untarring it, working out how the hell you configure
host.def/et al, then making it.

> >>Having the build automatically build them too also makes things easier.
> >
> >Yes, in some regards. In others, it makes it more complicated.
>=20
> Yes, it requires the builder to made a simple edit to their site.def=20
> file. In the grand scheme of things, not very complicated at all.

You need to make the right ones, and working out what those right ones
are is often difficult.

> >>Asking people to edit their site.def or host.def to not build something=
=20
> >>isn't asking too much IMO if a system already has the needed dependency=
.=20
> >>That's a heck of a lot easier than having to hunt down the source for=
=20
> >>something, build it, and install it.
> >
> >Or typing one line. Hell, if you have a jhbuild X.Org recipe, you just
> >type 'jhbuild install xorg', or whatever.
>=20
> There is no jhbuild on the boxes I cited. Telling me I've got to go get=
=20
> it before I can build is a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

Yes, but for the benefits jhbuild with a modular tree provides, it's IMO
worth it. jhbuild is also far more flexible, and provies you with a way
to build many, many, many components (such as, oh, GNOME), if you want
to. It's a common build tool, not an X-specific one.

--=20
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel@freedesktop=
.org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedeskto=