Trademarks

Sun Mar 14 11:31:36 PST 2004

Keith Packard wrote:
> Next difficult is all of the keymapping names; it's all 'xfree86' at this
> point, which "should" be changed.  Again, we should be able to read
> and use 'xfree86' as an alias for our own names.

Is it necessary to change all of those?  There's plenty of keysyms with other
trademarks/vendor names in already - Apollo, Sun, HP, Xerox, USL, OSF, etc.

> \#.*XFree86LOADER			CPP condition			5		Leave alone for now; change later?		Yes

I wouldn't object much to ripping the custom loader out and leaving just the dlopen version.
(Not sure how easy it is to do that though, and we'd lose compatibility with binary-only
  drivers.)

> bin/pswrap				How is this XFree86 specific?	1		Should we use DPS upstream?			Yes

Is anyone maintaining an upstream DPS any more?

> etc/X11/xdm				XFree86 logo			6		Replace with Freedesktop logo			Yes

Not the X.org logo?  (Or perhaps just disable it by default and let people who
want a logo provide their own.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com