Trademarks

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Mar 14 12:52:59 PST 2004

Around 11 o'clock on Mar 14, Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> > Next difficult is all of the keymapping names; it's all 'xfree86' at this

> Is it necessary to change all of those?  There's plenty of keysyms with other
> trademarks/vendor names in already - Apollo, Sun, HP, Xerox, USL, OSF, etc.

It's the default xkb mapping table name in question, not the keysyms. We
can leave the keysyms alone.

> I wouldn't object much to ripping the custom loader out and leaving just
> the dlopen version. (Not sure how easy it is to do that though, and we'd
> lose compatibility with binary-only drivers.)

Last time I tried, the dlopen version didn't work, in which case we can't
really consider it for the first release.  Not that I relish shipping the
custom loader for even one release, but I can't see a good way around it
at this point.

One possibility is to create a tool that can take a old ELF module and
convert it to a .so that can be loaded with dlopen.  I think that would be
relatively straightforward, and would provide a migration path for people
with binary drivers.

The question here is whether we change the name of the conditional that
indicates when parts of the system are built with the custom loader.

I suggest that we #define a new symbol and make all of our code use that,
but that we also #define the old symbol so that existing code will
continue to work.

> Is anyone maintaining an upstream DPS any more?

I don't know.  We could delete DPS from our release and let whoever is
interested build a separate package.

> Not the X.org logo?  (Or perhaps just disable it by default and let people who
> want a logo provide their own.)

Yeah, I suppose so.  I like the fd.o logo better, but this isn't an fd.o
release after all...

Thanks for reviewing the giant table.  I would like to spend a few minutes
figuring out which changes we can actually manage in time for a release;
we don't have to change everything all at once, we just need to make a
good effort at eliminating confusing uses.

-keith