xc/lib/font/FreeType/ in "XORG-RELEASE-1"-branch differs fromXfree86 trunk...

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Mar 14 13:03:43 PST 2004

Around 21 o'clock on Mar 14, Roland Mainz wrote:

> Can you please restore the original code ? I guess the current version
> in the "XORG-RELEASE-1"-branch will likely result in a horrible
> disaster.

I don't see a horrible disaster here; I see a performance problem for an
unexpected usage pattern (fonts with embedded bitmaps that aren't used).
I don't think there is any functionality that will be impacted.

And, if we do ship the code, I expect the FreeType API will never be
fixed, so we'll be stuck in the next release at the same place.

Actually, I was thinking about this -- you want to know when bitmaps are in
use; it seems like that's trivial -- pull a single glyph from the font and
see if you get back an outline or a bitmap.  Assume that the font will
uniformly return bitmaps or outlines; after all, that's what's being
assumed in the current code.  That should be essentially as fast as the
original code without breaking the API.

> The argument that a semi-private API is being used isn't that worse in this
> case since Xfree86 codebase and other applications make use of that API,
> too.

It's not a 'semi-private API' -- the header file needed to decode the
values here is burried deep inside the FreeType source code and has never
been installed.  The additions to use this API were added to the FreeType
backend very late in the XFree86 4.4 release process; too late in fact to
be evaluated by the FreeType backend maintainer, Juliusz Chroboczek.

Yes, I'm being hard nosed.  If we can't respect other projects APIs, then
we can hardly be surprised when other projects don't respect ours.

-keith