xc/lib/font/FreeType/ in "XORG-RELEASE-1"-branch differs fromXfree86 trunk...

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Sun Mar 14 22:24:00 PST 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 04:21:50AM +0100, Roland Mainz wrote:
> Keith Packard wrote:
> > As I said, until we get the fix pushed back upstream, we will have ongoing
> > issues with kludging around things.  Keeping a private version of FreeType
> > is not an acceptable answer to this minor performance problem.
>
> I disagree with you. The performance problem hits CJK users hard and
> visible. Damaging performance in such a way is completely unacceptable.
> Please back that patch out.

If it means interface stability over a small performance hit, it's
worthwhile. Having a forked version of FreeType is 'completely
unacceptable', and we must stick to its public APIs.

Some APIs are private for a reason. As Keith alluded to, what if we make
our own private APIs - again, for a reason - and a whole bunch of people
use them willy-nilly? We haven't got a leg to stand on, because we've
been pirating people's private APIs for ages.

The solution is to convince FreeType upstream just how good this patch
is, so they can add the relevant bits to the public API. Until then,
your patch gets a very, very strong no from me.

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedesktop.org