xc/lib/font/FreeType/ in "XORG-RELEASE-1"-branch differs fromXfree86 trunk...

Egbert Eich eich at pdx.freedesktop.org
Mon Mar 15 07:16:56 PST 2004

Daniel Stone writes:
 > If it means interface stability over a small performance hit, it's
 > worthwhile. Having a forked version of FreeType is 'completely
 > unacceptable', and we must stick to its public APIs.

Could it be that you are so quick in 'accepting' this performance penalty
because you will most likely never run into this problem?

 > Some APIs are private for a reason. As Keith alluded to, what if we make
 > our own private APIs - again, for a reason - and a whole bunch of people
 > use them willy-nilly? We haven't got a leg to stand on, because we've
 > been pirating people's private APIs for ages.
 >
 > The solution is to convince FreeType upstream just how good this patch

Right.

 > is, so they can add the relevant bits to the public API. Until then,
 > your patch gets a very, very strong no from me.

I don't think you should even vote on things if you don't understand
the consequences that others may have.
I'll look into a way to make both worlds happy as much as possible.

Egbert.