xc/lib/font/FreeType/ in "XORG-RELEASE-1"-branch differs fromXfree86 trunk...

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Mon Mar 15 06:54:55 PST 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 04:16:56PM +0100, Egbert Eich wrote:
> Daniel Stone writes:
>  > If it means interface stability over a small performance hit, it's
>  > worthwhile. Having a forked version of FreeType is 'completely
>  > unacceptable', and we must stick to its public APIs.
>
> Could it be that you are so quick in 'accepting' this performance penalty
> because you will most likely never run into this problem?

Sure - I use neither CJK nor core fonts, but if it was slugging 8859-1,
I'd argue against the patch, too.

>  > is, so they can add the relevant bits to the public API. Until then,
>  > your patch gets a very, very strong no from me.
>
> I don't think you should even vote on things if you don't understand
> the consequences that others may have.
> I'll look into a way to make both worlds happy as much as possible.

I'm not voting, I was just expressing an opinion, and a request. Please
don't do it, because I want people to respect the bounds between a
public and private API for X releases.

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedesktop.org