CVS Update: xc (branch: XORG-RELEASE-1-TM)

Egbert Eich eich at pdx.freedesktop.org
Thu Mar 18 11:47:15 PST 2004

Keith Packard writes:

 > Around 12 o'clock on Mar 18, Egbert Eich wrote:
 >
 > > s/conf/cfg/ for 8+3 platforms.
 >
 > Hmm.  A valid point, but I submit that there really aren't any more 8+3
 > platforms anymore; and even so, xorg.con isn't too bad.  I just hate being
 > constrained by DOS in the 21st century.

Right. Me too. XF86Config broke the 8+3 rule already.
However I don't know about the .conf. On some (stupid)
platforms the extends may have a meaning so you run into
trouble with xorg.conf.new as generated by -configure.

 > > XML great, too. We can retain the same format but
 > > replace
 >
 > Sorry, sarcasm doesn't transmit well in email.  I was jokingly attempting
 > to start a mock flame war.  We won't want to switch to XML without a long
 > lead time and significant warning for external tool developers.

Certainly not.
But  I wouldn't mind XML. It would not be much worse than now.

Egbert.