X.Org Foundation - Release Wranglers Call - 19th March 2004.

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Mar 19 12:06:28 PST 2004

Around 11 o'clock on Mar 19, Torrey Lyons wrote:

> If you are interested in Mac OS X 10.1.x support, you will definitely
> want to pull in my most recent fix to the XFree86 xf-4_4-branch.
> Otherwise, the X server is not really usable in rootless mode. The
> patch is to two files in Xserver/hw/darwin/quartz/cr.

We're seeing patches to XFree86 CVS that are marked with the new XFree86
1.1 license:

  "These changes are Copyright (c) 2004 The XFree86 Project, Inc
   Rights as per version 1.1 of the XFree86 License
   (http://www.xfree86.org/legal/licenses.html)."

The affected files don't indicate the copyright or license changes, so
it's less than clear what the actual legal status of the modified files
is, but I'm sure not interested in finding out first-hand...

At this point, I'd really like to have patches for X.org CVS sent directly
from upstream, rather than attempting to pull patches from XFree86 where
we risk unexpected and unmarked license changes.

-keith