Where do we plan to put release bits?

Egbert Eich eich at pdx.freedesktop.org
Wed Mar 24 04:13:52 PST 2004

Howard Greenwell writes:
 > At 10:40 23/03/2004 -0500, you wrote:
 > >Actually, this begs a series of questions:
 > >
 > >1) where are we putting release bits?
 >
 > I would have though we put these on ftp.x.org. This is where we have the
 > X11R6.6 release, and the site is mirrored by a number of others.
 > Could also do an http page if thought desirable, but did not seem to need
 > it for previous X.Org releases.

The release bits should be put on an ftp server. No question.
However the question I raise is if we should people point there
directly or send them to the home page where they can follow a
pointer to the ftp server.
In the olden days of course I would have said lets send them
to the ftp server directly. However going thru the home page
allows one to restructure the ftp server more easily if we
find this necessar.

 > >2) what mailing list for bug reports?
 >
 > I'm assuming therefore that we do not want bugs entered directly into the
 > bugzilla until there has been some form of

I would like to direct people to bugzilla starting from the home page.
People should not touch the bugzilla without being exposed to instructions
how to enter bugs into bugzilla.
I've heared that KDE organized their system such that people are
*forced* to search for similar entries bevor they are allowed to
enter a new report. This has reduced the number of duplicates.

 > >3) what mailing list for user help?
 >
 > The is already an "xorg_info" list that we could make public and encourage
 > people to join. Already available on the x.org site, but only sends to a
 > few members of the old X.Org at this time.

I don't think people should be pointed to a mailing list directly.
XFree86 has this feature and we seen the same support questions being
asked over and over.

 > >4) where is the FAQ?
 >
 > Thought this is to be in the wiki?

Correct.