Command line changes for TM branch

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Mar 30 08:57:00 PST 2004

Around 14 o'clock on Mar 30, Egbert Eich wrote:

> I wonder why we need this -x??<foo> anyway. Whouldn't -<foo> be
> sufficient (unless there is a conflict with an existing option).
> I mean, why -xf86config or -xorgconfig instead of just -config
> for example?

Yes, the server should (and does, I believe) accept '-config'.  I was
extrapolating from the gtf program which I had just fixed and which can
output mode lines for either fbdev or X and accepts:

	-f, --fbmode			output fbdev-style mode information
	-x, --xorgmode, --xf86mode	output XFree86-style mode information

In cases where '-xf86<foo>' can be safely converted to '-foo', we should
certainly do that as well as accepting -xf86<foo> and perhaps -xorg<foo> as
synonyms.

I can go back through the changes I made and check for other command line
argument changes to see if I did something screwy...

-keith