X.Org Foundation - Release Call Minutes - 29th March 2004.

Howard Greenwell h.greenwell at opengroup.org
Mon Mar 29 12:18:51 PST 2004

All,

The minutes of the Release Wranglers call today.

Attendees:

Jim Gettys
Howard Greenwell
Egbert Eich
Paul Anderson
Alexander Gotwald
Kaleb Keithley
Leon Shiman
Alan Coopersmith
Kevin Martin
Stuart Kreitman

Minutes:

Egbert reported that Keith has committed many items over the weekend, as
well as worked on some binary things.
Keith has changed options like "-xf86 config". Not all tools have these
changes. Should we do all of this before the release.
Defer until Keith is able to join the call.

Keith also did a search through the installed files for the XFree86. Not
many references left, nice short list. Egbert has worked on some of the
binaries.

Bug Status:

370 - Paul raised the issue of the file of copyright for people. Not too
much concern due the document being quite out of date.

Jim raised the issue of the Build file. How to build - how to generate
tarballs. Jim asked if we should do the release in one tarball, or multiple
tarballs.
Egbert unhappy with one tarball.

Jim indicated the need to stay with XFree86 doctools.
Jim looked at build document - feels it is buggy and out of date. Tried
updating and committing changes, but could do with more review.

232 - Release Notes.
Jim also changed Release notes, including Egberts changes from top
directory. Would like verification from group of changes.

Paul has release script from Metro Link to build tarballs. They split the
release into 4 tarballs.

Stuart raised issue of number of packages needed alongside the X release to
know what to install before X Window.
Any Unix OS, you need to specify developer install to get most of the
packages.
Egbert commented that the SUSE, the average user does not do developer
install.
Stuart needs to send words to Jim of what needs to be said in the release
notes about installing packages.

Egbert still needs to work on the Wiki.

General agreement that things are coming together but that we will not be
ready by the end of Tuesday. Try to be ready by the end of Wednesday.
Do not want to announce on Thursday (1st April). Friday not good day for
releases, so perhaps wait till Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Security Issues - agreed that both should be left unfixed for this release.
Been around for a while, and not yet exploited. Should endeavor to release
soon after the release has been made.

Alan updated the Standards document - but not the documents that are in
Framemaker. Stuart will update the versions in these files.
Target for all new updates should be to move to XML.
All acknowledged there will be some manual conversions necessary, but not
this release.

Review again on Wednesday evening to decide if we are ready to go. Get
Interim Board approval on Tuesday to make release when ready.

Howard.