[xkb] Re: new layout

Sergey V. Udaltsov sergey_udaltsov at pochta.ru
Thu Mar 17 11:29:36 PST 2005

Hi Alan

Basically, there are several issues involved in the integration into the
main monolythic tree:
1. xkeyboard-config is autotoolized - so the integration will have to
"downgrade" the build process to imake framework
2. xkeyboard-config depends on intltool - will xorg be happy to
introduce new dependency?
3. xkeyboard-config heavily restructured the directories - so some old
configurations will be broken. As a part of the problem: we tried to
keep compatibility at least on the layouts level - but people using
symbols directly will suffer.
4. The default name of the rules is not "xorg" or "xfree" but "base".

So, these issues should be discussed before someone makes decision on
our integration into the main tree. What I'd REALLY like to see is some
review, from the core xorg team, regarding feasibility of this
integration.

What I think could be saner alternative - full removal of the xkb data
from the large xorg tree. This way people (distromakers) would use
xkeyboard-config as standalone package. But probably this is not
acceptable from the overall xorg policy POV.

Comments are welcome.

Sergey