[xkb] Re: new layout

Thu Mar 17 11:48:15 PST 2005

Sergey V. Udaltsov wrote:
> So, these issues should be discussed before someone makes decision on
> our integration into the main tree. What I'd REALLY like to see is some
> review, from the core xorg team, regarding feasibility of this
> integration.

There's the problem - there is no "core xorg team" defined to do anything
like this.   Waiting for that will leave you very disappointed.

> What I think could be saner alternative - full removal of the xkb data
> from the large xorg tree. This way people (distromakers) would use
> xkeyboard-config as standalone package. But probably this is not
> acceptable from the overall xorg policy POV.

I don't think that's a good idea, especially with modularization just
around the corner.   Distromakers who want to use xkeyboard-config can
already, so this provides nothing other than annoying those not yet ready
to move.  The simplest plan is to just wait until the modularization work
is in progress and then decide if xkeyboard-config is acceptable as a module.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com