[SCIM] help: scim 0.9.3 on whitebox linux

Klaus Weidenbach Klaus.Weidenbach at gmx.net
Mon Apr 12 09:08:11 PDT 2004

Hello,

> Have a try scim-panel-kde, it does not depend on the
> LANG, but honor the KDE settings, so if the primary
> language in your KDE is, say German, then
> scim-panel-kde should be also in German (of course, if
> any one know German wants to translate it ;)
I haven't tried the kde-panel yet, but this sounds like that translations
would make sense then ;o)) Hope I can check it out soon, but tomorrow I will
go on a school trip to Barcelona first, but afterwards I will try. ;))

> If you can not fully understand any English strings in
> scim (or scim-panel-kde), you can ask them here, we
> are more than happy to explain and help you with your
> translation if needed.
Well, the English wasn't such a big problem, expect maybe some special words,
but it was more how the strings looked like, or were organized, or it was
something that I could write in two ways in German with different meanings
and I don't know where in the program this string will be displayed exactly
and this was bit confusing and hard. Some comments, other than just the
source code location would also be helpful for translating maybe *gg*

> BTW: why can't you see the handbood on the SCIM
> website?
Well, the manual is Chinese and I have no idea about Chinese, Japanese and all
these languages. I was just in the situation I talked the school to use Linux
instead of Windows ;o)) and we have also some Chinese and Japanese students,
so I had to find a way to bring this writing support also to Linux. ;o) This
is a neverending story for me, because most information is Chinese or so and
to find some English documentation that could have helped me, was really hard
to find, but this way I think I have learned A LOT about this all CJK, fonts
for Linux, Input Methods, xinitrc and co ;))
Well, but one thing I still can't understand. I first installed SCIM and asked
the Chinese students to try it, but they said they cannot write with it. ;
(( I said they should try the other methods, because there were so many
methods for writing Chinese, but they said it would be very complicated for
them. Is this because they are just used to the M$ Windows IME, or are there
really so many different ways, that they couldn't use any of them. Well, at
the end I also installed scim-chinese and this seems to fit better their
customs. Now I am wondering what is so special on this one, because that is
also close source from SCIM. *hmmmmm* :o)

Ps: @Cougar: I think it would be better if you write the SCIM-ML as TO: and
not my eMail and not the scim-ML as BC:. I will read it on the ML ;))

Regards,
Klaus

- --
take care!