X ComposeIM [Was: Re: [SCIM] Can anyone revise my doc for newbies?

Hideki Hiura hiura at openi18n.org
Mon Jul 19 18:21:30 PDT 2004

James,

> From: Zhe Su <james.su at gmail.com>
> Could you please give me some hint on how to switch between compose
> and xim on the fly? I know nothing about it.

If I remember correctly, XFree86 4.2.0 must already have XI18N code
incorporated.
There are a couple of points you need to verify on your X settings.
The enhancement in XComposeIM regarding switching is triggered
by the new directives in "Compose" file.

You can define the switching by

STATE "[ state name ]"

key sequence		: SWITCH_STATE_TO "[ state name ]"

For switching to remote IM, you can use
STATE_TYPE: REMOTE_IM
derective.

For example, using European composition with Japanese input method
server, the definition would be something like

STATE "[ English/European ]"
<Multi_key> <j>	<a>	: SWITCH_STATE_TO "[ Japanese ]"
Ctrl<T> <j> <a>		: SWITCH_STATE_TO "[ Japanese ]"

<Multi_key> <plus> <plus>		: "\x23"	numbersign
<Multi_key> <apostrophe> <space>	: "\x27"	apostrophe
	    :
 [omitted  bunch of definition of deadkey/composition rules for European]

END_STATE

STATE "[ Japanese ]"
STATE_TYPE: REMOTE_IM
Ctrl<space>		: SWITCH_STATE_TO "[ English/European ]"
LANGUAGE : ja
END_STATE

Early Solaris's multilingual input enabling with CDE was done with
this mechanism. Here is how it looked like:

     http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/806-0169/6j9hsml3o?a=view

Hideki