[SCIM] Loading XIM module fails (was: Making Scim run automatically)

Jun Chen prescaler at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 21:47:35 PDT 2004

Thanks for your reply, see in-line comments.

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:43:00 -0500, Ming Hua <minghua at rice.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 09:16:30PM -0400, Jun Chen wrote:
> > I have a similar situation. I can use scim gtk module in gtk
> > applications. If I select X input method, it will give me this message
> > in the console:
> >
> > Gtk-WARNING **: Loading IM context type 'xim' failed
>
> I don't think your problem is similar to Gilles', since yours has
> nothing to do with environment variables loading at X startup.
yeh, I don't need to load scim manually. It seems the change I made in
xinitrc does work, however, just the gtk module.

> > Also I can not use scim in any non-gtk application.
>
> If you only use the GTK+ immodule of SCIM, you won't be able to input in
> non-gtk apps.  You can choose skim (a KDE panel for SCIM) and
> qt-immodule if you use Qt apps, but in my opinion XIM works fine most of
> the time.
I am using Gnome. In GTK applications, I will get that error message
if I switch to X input method from the right-click menu. In other
applications (mozilla), 'ctrl-space' doesn't do anything.

> So your problem is not really specific to SCIM.  Have you ever used any
> other XIM input methond apps before?
I tried fcitx before and got the same error message.

> > Here is my environment:
> [snipped]
> > XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
> This looks fine to me.  You can also use the environment variable
> GTK_IM_MODULE to specify the IM module you prefer.
>
> > XIM=SCIM
> > XIM_PROGRAM=scim
>
> I am not sure if these are useful at all.  James?
I don't really know if these are useful, just really want to make XIM work:)

> > % locale
> > LANG=en_US
> > LC_CTYPE="en_US"
> > LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
> > LC_TIME="en_US"
> > LC_COLLATE="en_US"
> > LC_MONETARY="en_US"
> > LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
> > LC_PAPER="en_US"
> > LC_NAME="en_US"
> > LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
> > LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
> > LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
> > LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
> > LC_ALL=
>
> This looks strange to me.  What encoding are you using here, ISO-8859-1?
> (If you are using Debian, then it is ISO-8859-1.) If your X environment
> doesn't support the language you are trying to input, there is no way
> XIM will work.  Have you tried using the locale en_US.UTF-8 instead?
"en_US" is actually an alias. I can not recall where I saw the
definition, but I remember it is actually "en_US.ISO-8859-1". The scim
gtk module works fine with it (In order to display chinese, I added
the simsun font and modified the gtkrc.zh_CN file). I did try
en_US.UTF-8, even zh_CN.GB2312. It didn't make any difference.