[SCIM] Loading XIM module fails (was: Making Scim run automatically)

Ming Hua minghua at rice.edu
Mon Jul 26 18:43:00 PDT 2004

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 09:16:30PM -0400, Jun Chen wrote:
> I have a similar situation. I can use scim gtk module in gtk
> applications. If I select X input method, it will give me this message
> in the console:
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: Loading IM context type 'xim' failed

I don't think your problem is similar to Gilles', since yours has
nothing to do with environment variables loading at X startup.

> Also I can not use scim in any non-gtk application.

If you only use the GTK+ immodule of SCIM, you won't be able to input in
non-gtk apps.  You can choose skim (a KDE panel for SCIM) and
qt-immodule if you use Qt apps, but in my opinion XIM works fine most of
the time.

So your problem is not really specific to SCIM.  Have you ever used any
other XIM input methond apps before?

> Here is my environment:
[snipped]
> XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
This looks fine to me.  You can also use the environment variable
GTK_IM_MODULE to specify the IM module you prefer.

> XIM=SCIM
> XIM_PROGRAM=scim

I am not sure if these are useful at all.  James?

> % locale
> LANG=en_US
> LC_CTYPE="en_US"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
> LC_TIME="en_US"
> LC_COLLATE="en_US"
> LC_MONETARY="en_US"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
> LC_PAPER="en_US"
> LC_NAME="en_US"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
> LC_ALL=

This looks strange to me.  What encoding are you using here, ISO-8859-1?
(If you are using Debian, then it is ISO-8859-1.) If your X environment
doesn't support the language you are trying to input, there is no way
XIM will work.  Have you tried using the locale en_US.UTF-8 instead?

Ming
2004.07.26