[SCIM] Skim has been ported to FreeBSD

Jie Gao gaoj at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Thu Jul 29 16:01:51 PDT 2004

Hi, all

I am the maintainer of scim ports on FreeBSD. Recently I also ported skim to
FreeBSD and now it has been committed to the ports collection. So a FreeBSD
5.x user can update his/her ports tree and install textproc/skim port.
Details can be found at http://www.freshports.org/textproc/skim

I also have a suggestion about skim's code. In
plugins/scimlauncher/scimlauncher.cpp file there is a call to strndup()
function. This function, however, is not a standard cstring function. It is
a GNU-only extension. So it does not exist on systems that do not use GNU
libc (glibc). May I suggest using the standard string functions? The
implementation of strndup() through malloc() and memcpy() will be only
around 10 lines, e.g. the one in
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/ports/textproc/skim/files/patch-plugins-scimlauncher-scimlauncher.cpp

Thanks for the good work! Really cool!