[SCIM] Skim has been ported to FreeBSD

LiuCougar liucougar at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 07:38:05 PDT 2004

Hi Jie,
thanks for you work and your suggestion. I have added this info in the
homepage of skim.

I think I will use the counterpart of strndup in Qt library: it should
be portable, isn't it?

Suggestion about the info of skim:
master sites: http://scim.freedesktop.org/Software/ScimKDE is better
than http://freedesktop.org/~cougar/skim/downloads/ (IMO)

Regards,
Cougar

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:01:51 -0600, Jie Gao <gaoj at cpsc.ucalgary.ca> wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> I am the maintainer of scim ports on FreeBSD. Recently I also ported skim to
> FreeBSD and now it has been committed to the ports collection. So a FreeBSD
> 5.x user can update his/her ports tree and install textproc/skim port.
> Details can be found at http://www.freshports.org/textproc/skim
>
> I also have a suggestion about skim's code. In
> plugins/scimlauncher/scimlauncher.cpp file there is a call to strndup()
> function. This function, however, is not a standard cstring function. It is
> a GNU-only extension. So it does not exist on systems that do not use GNU
> libc (glibc). May I suggest using the standard string functions? The
> implementation of strndup() through malloc() and memcpy() will be only
> around 10 lines, e.g. the one in
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/ports/textproc/skim/files/patch-plugins-scimlauncher-scimlauncher.cpp
>
> Thanks for the good work! Really cool!

- Old Chinese adage