[SCIM] Issues of multi user server

James Su suzhe at tsinghua.org.cn
Sat May 22 18:35:56 PDT 2004

Hi,
  Thank you very much for your idea. I have similar opinion as yours.
But I also have the following concern:
1) A totally library based input method may get very large memory
overhead in some situation. For example, if I wrote a library based
gtkimmodule, then each gtk application using this immodule will start an
instance of the im library and hold a copy of input method data. Some
chinese input methods have very large amount of data, maybe more than
one megabytes. So in this situation, it's better to have a single daemon
which holds only one copy of data and all im clients get data from this
daemon.
2) System wide input method daemon has many issues just like what you
said. But currently I'm just considering if we can use per user daemon.
The only issue to use per user daemon is how can we start (and just one)
im daemon when a user first login to the system and stop the daemon when
there is no login session available for this user.

  SCIM can work as a per user daemon with manual control just like what
I said. User may start a SCIM daemon in their xinit script just before
starting the XIM server with the following command:

$ scim -f socket -ns socket -c simple -d

  Then user may start a XIM server in the xinit script which uses the
resource from the upper scim daemon:

$ scim -f x11 -s socket -c socket -d

  And export the GTK_IM_MODULE=scim environment variable to let all gtk
clients use the input method resource from the first scim daemon directly.

  This method has no security issue, because all communication between
the daemon and the clients are based on unix socket, and only this user
can read/write the socket file.

  Then the only issue I must solve is, how to start/stop the per user
scim daemon when user login/logout the system.

Regards
James Su