[SCIM] SCIM on kde does not work with firefox

Kitae neeum at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 23:38:39 PST 2004

Hi
On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 18:36 +0000, Mark Marszal wrote:
> running locale shows:
> LANG=
> LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
> LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
> LC_TIME="POSIX"
> LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
> LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
> LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
> LC_PAPER="POSIX"
> LC_NAME="POSIX"
> LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
> LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
> LC_ALL=

You seems to be not set any locale.
I think that doesn't good idea for using scim or other xim for cjk
using.

> set | grep -i scim shows nothing at all
> I havent recompiled with the toolkit option because im using portage to
> compile these options. i will search for a use flag for it and once i
> recompile i will e-mail you again.

set | grep -i scim, show not anything?
that mean you didn't set anything for scim.

I read all your posting.
I also use gentoo linux,

I suggest you try to use en_US.UTF-8 locale

First.
etcat -u glibc
that will show your installed glibc USE flag
 - - userlocales : .....
if set like that you can go Second,
or if  you have uselocales flage
 + + userlocales :...
you should check
/etc/locales.build
in that file put the locale, that you want to support.
I suggest you put
en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8
in middle of file.

after edit that file you should re emrege glibc.
but that have to got too long time.
so manualy
do
localedef -i en_US -c -f UTF-8 en_US.UTF-8

That need at one time. next glibc upgrade will make so that will be not
need again.

Second
remove before any LANG or LC_CTYPE setting from Xscript, resource or..
any where.

make /etc/env.d/02locale file
and put that line.
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

(for en_US.UTF-8 locale all cover only using English, menu, message
almost everything,  and  also cover other language display ability if
you have font).
after save that file.
run "env-update" by root

just check
/etc/scim/global
that line contain.
"/SupportedUnicodeLocales = en_US.UTF-8"
If you didn't touch that file, that should be there.

re login, you want to use X-window

You can put
export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
in you .xinitrc file
but before put them I suggest You try manually so
remove all old setting for scim
just start X

run 2 terminal, xterm or others
in first terminal
do
"locale"
that should be like

terry at toy terry $ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
terry at toy terry $

if than do
"scim"
you can see scim booting and loading message.
if there is no error message.
than go second terminal

type
export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
than

type firefox.

that time you should can be use firefox with scim.
If you can't there will be some error message.

If work, you just setting you x script or resource file for you
X-windows or xdm.