[SCIM] Simple hangul for scim-tables

Choe Hwanjin krisna at kldp.org
Fri Oct 22 03:48:38 PDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 04:06:20PM +0900, David J.Oftedal wrote:
> > No. I don't think so.
> > This table is for non native korean. This is for foreigners.
> > So, this is not a replacement of existing Hangul.txt
>
> I'm curious about this method, having attempted to make a similar
> one in the past. For one thing, how does it separate syllables without
> making mistakes? Imagine that I wanted to type in "An Nye Ong Has
> E Yo", for whatever reason, instead of "An Nyeong Ha Se Yo". How
> would I go about it with this method?

You are actually right. It is impossible to distinguish syllables
without knowing following letters.
So korean input method uses very difficult routine to input korean
2-beo-sik.
I think table method cannot solve this problem.

So I suggest 2 solutions on this problem.
1. user type <space> to divide syllables.
To input '가나다', type 'ga na da'
In this method, user have to divide syllables manually for him/herself.

2. user type upper letters to input trailing consonant.
To input '안녕', type 'aNnyeoNG'
This method use upper letters too much :(

> Anyway, this kind of input method is very interesting from a foreigner's
> point of view, since romanization of a language with variable syllable
> lengths is difficult, but yet more practical than learning the 2-
> beol-sik or 3-beol-sik layouts if one doesn't use Korean a lot. I
> hope you succeed! :)

I want some feedback from non native korean.
I will expect your help :)