[SCIM] Re: skim 1.0.0 released

Mike FABIAN mfabian at suse.de
Tue Sep 21 10:20:48 UTC 2004

LiuCougar <liucougar at gmail.com> さんは書きました:

> Thanks for the patch. I think that with this patch applied, the KDE
> will always start skim when skimrc exist in the user's setting dir. Am
> I right?

Even if no .kde/share/config/skimrc exist, skim will always
start because when building with the patch, the skim package
contains the file

    /opt/kde3/share/autostart/skim.desktop

which contains:

    linux at g187:~>  cat /opt/kde3/share/autostart/skim.desktop
    [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=skim
    Name[ko]=스킴
    Exec=skim
    Icon=skim
    Type=Application
    Comment=Input method platform
    Comment[de]=Plattform für Eingabemethoden
    Comment[ja]=インプットメソッドプラットフォーム
    Comment[ko]=입력방식
    Comment[zh_CN]=输入法平台
    Comment[zh_TW]=輸入法平台

    X-DCOP-ServiceType=Unique
    X-KDE-StartupNotify=false
    X-KDE-autostart-condition=skimrc:General:Autostart:true
    X-KDE-autostart-after=panel

    linux at g187:~>

To prevent the autostart, the user has to add a [General]
section to .kde/share/config/skimrc and set Autostart=false.
Like this:

    linux at g187:~> cat .kde/share/config/skimrc
    [General]
    Autostart=false

    [SCIM]
    /FrontEnd/X11/OnTheSpot=true
    /UpdateTimeStamp=1095712240:641150
    linux at g187:~>

It is not nice that the user has to edit this manually, probably it
would be nice to add a button to the skim setup dialog to choose
whether skim should use this KDE autostart mechanism or not and write
that [General] section to skimrc.

Even when Autostart=false, skim will still start because of the KDE
session management if it had been started before, i.e. to really
prevent it from starting again, one also has to kill it before logging
out.

>> In that case, the dcop server error message does *not* happen.
>>
>> But, if one has a xterm open and restarts KDE, the session
>> management will start the xterm again when logging into KDE again.
>> Input with skim into that xterm will not work, apparently because
>> this xterm starts fast and is started *before* skim is running.
>>
>> Starting another xterm when the full KDE session including skim is
>> already running is OK, in that xterm the input will work, but not in
>> the first xterm which was brought up by the session management.

> I just do not know why in SuSE the dcop error occurs. What's the
> version of KDE and Qt in SuSE? (I am using 3.3.0).

SuSE Linux 9.1 (Qt is updated from the version originally in SuSE 9.1):

    mike at kibou:~$ cat /etc/SuSE-release
    SuSE Linux 9.1 (i586)
    VERSION = 9.1
    mike at kibou:~$ rpm -q kdebase3
    kdebase3-3.2.1-68.21
    mike at kibou:~$ rpm -q qt3
    qt3-3.3.3-18.1
    mike at kibou:~$

SuSE Linux 9.2 Beta2:

    linux at g187:~> cat /etc/SuSE-release
    SUSE Linux 9.1.42 (x86-64) Beta2
    VERSION = 9.1.42
    linux at g187:~> rpm -q kdebase3
    kdebase3-3.3.0-12
    linux at g187:~> rpm -q qt3
    qt3-3.3.3-18
    linux at g187:~>

The dcop server error occurs on both systems when "skim -d"
is called in ~/.xim.

--
Mike FABIAN   <mfabian at suse.de>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。