[SCIM] Re: skim 1.0.0 released

LiuCougar liucougar at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 16:41:08 UTC 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:20:48 +0200, Mike FABIAN <mfabian at suse.de> wrote:
> LiuCougar <liucougar at gmail.com> さんは書きました:
>
> > Thanks for the patch. I think that with this patch applied, the KDE
> > will always start skim when skimrc exist in the user's setting dir. Am
> > I right?
>
> Even if no .kde/share/config/skimrc exist, skim will always
> start because when building with the patch, the skim package
> contains the file
>
>    /opt/kde3/share/autostart/skim.desktop
>
> which contains:
>
>    linux at g187:~>  cat /opt/kde3/share/autostart/skim.desktop
>    [Desktop Entry]
>    Encoding=UTF-8
>    Name=skim
>    Name[ko]=스킴
>    Exec=skim
>    Icon=skim
>    Type=Application
>    Comment=Input method platform
>    Comment[de]=Plattform für Eingabemethoden
>    Comment[ja]=インプットメソッドプラットフォーム
>    Comment[ko]=입력방식
>    Comment[zh_CN]=输入法平台
>    Comment[zh_TW]=輸入法平台
>
>    X-DCOP-ServiceType=Unique
>    X-KDE-StartupNotify=false
>    X-KDE-autostart-condition=skimrc:General:Autostart:true
>    X-KDE-autostart-after=panel
>
>    linux at g187:~>
>
> To prevent the autostart, the user has to add a [General]
> section to .kde/share/config/skimrc and set Autostart=false.
> Like this:
>
>    linux at g187:~> cat .kde/share/config/skimrc
>    [General]
>    Autostart=false
>
>    [SCIM]
>    /FrontEnd/X11/OnTheSpot=true
>    /UpdateTimeStamp=1095712240:641150
>    linux at g187:~>
>
> It is not nice that the user has to edit this manually, probably it
> would be nice to add a button to the skim setup dialog to choose
> whether skim should use this KDE autostart mechanism or not and write
> that [General] section to skimrc.
Thanks for your explanation. I agree the user should be able to modify
this in the configure dialog of skim. This will be implemented in next
release.

> Even when Autostart=false, skim will still start because of the KDE
> session management if it had been started before, i.e. to really
> prevent it from starting again, one also has to kill it before logging
> out.
I think a better way to achieve this is to disable session management
in skim when Autostart=false . what's your opinion please?
> >> In that case, the dcop server error message does *not* happen.
> >>
> SuSE Linux 9.1 (Qt is updated from the version originally in SuSE 9.1):
>
>    mike at kibou:~$ cat /etc/SuSE-release
>    SuSE Linux 9.1 (i586)
>    VERSION = 9.1
>    mike at kibou:~$ rpm -q kdebase3
>    kdebase3-3.2.1-68.21
>    mike at kibou:~$ rpm -q qt3
>    qt3-3.3.3-18.1
>    mike at kibou:~$
>
> SuSE Linux 9.2 Beta2:
>
>    linux at g187:~> cat /etc/SuSE-release
>    SUSE Linux 9.1.42 (x86-64) Beta2
>    VERSION = 9.1.42
>    linux at g187:~> rpm -q kdebase3
>    kdebase3-3.3.0-12
>    linux at g187:~> rpm -q qt3
>    qt3-3.3.3-18
>    linux at g187:~>
>
> The dcop server error occurs on both systems when "skim -d"
> is called in ~/.xim.
It seems it has nothing to do with kde version...

Regards,
Cougar
- Old Chinese adage