[SCIM] skim kde autostart (was: skim 1.0.0 released)

Mike FABIAN mfabian at suse.de
Wed Sep 29 18:08:20 UTC 2004

LiuCougar <liucougar at gmail.com> さんは書きました:

> I agree the user should be able to modify this in the configure
> dialog of skim. This will be implemented in next release.

Thank you very much. I have extracted this feature from your CVS and
added it as a patch to the skim package for SuSE Linux 9.2 (I cannot
update to your 1.0.1 release anymore as we are in the beta phase
already).

>> Even when Autostart=false, skim will still start because of the KDE
>> session management if it had been started before, i.e. to really
>> prevent it from starting again, one also has to kill it before logging
>> out.

> I think a better way to achieve this is to disable session management
> in skim when Autostart=false . what's your opinion please?

Yes, I think that is a good idea and it seems to work fine.

I found another problem though, which is probably a problem of scim
rather than skim:

1) disable the automatic start of skim with the KDE session using your
improved setup dialog.

2) restart the KDE session (QT_IM_MODULE=scim is set in the
environment).

Now scim-panel-gtk starts and the scim symbol appears in the kde
taskbar.

That's OK, because we wanted to disable skim.

But let's assume that we change our mind now and want to use skim
again.

Starting skim on the command line doesn't work because the scim panel
is still running:

linux at f142:~> skim
Cannot create SocketServer. Maybe a panel is still running...
linux at f142:~>

OK, that's normal. But now I want to stop the skim panel.  I click on
the scim keyboard icon in the KDE taskbar with the right mouse button
and choose "Exit". The scim panel exits but immediately starts again.

That means the only way I can make skim start again is to edit

    ~/.kde/share/config/skimrc

with a text editor and change

    [General]
    Autostart=false