[Spice-devel] [00/17] Misc code style cleanups & adding 'syntax-check' make rule

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jan 10 07:58:21 PST 2012

In libvirt we use GNULIB, which provides a useful extra make rule
'syntax-check' for validating all sorts of common code style bugs.
This keeps the code looking sane & detects certain real bugs and/or
redundant coding patterns. Although SPICE doesn't use GNULIB it is
trivial to copy the make rules into other projects.

This patch series cleans up 15 different types of flaw, and then
finally adds the syntax-check rules. Just type 'make syntax-check'
to run it. The idea is that any patch submitter should run a
syntax-check on the code before submission, and ideally any
automated builds should run it too.

It is possible to add project specific syntax checks by editing
the cfg.mk file at will.

I have enabled the most commonly useful checks, but there are others
that might be useful to SPICE, which I leave as an exercise for other
motivated people. There should be no functional change from this
patch series.