[Spice-devel] Is it possible to implement file system redirection in SPICE?

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Sun Mar 25 07:10:36 PDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 09:27:31PM +0800, xufango wrote:
>    > FWIW there is someone working on filesystem passthrough using 9pfs. The
>    > main stumbling block there is lack of a windows driver.
>
>    You mean that write a windows driver to support 9pfs,
>    like the examples as [1]http://www.acc.umu.se/~bosse/  ?
>
>    And implement implement the actual file system access
>    (./hw/9pfs/virtio-9p-local.c) on windows?
>

>    As "there are no Windows drivers (virtio-pci device and p9fs) available. "
>    said,
>
>    We also need to write a virtio-pci driver on windows?

That already exists as part of the virtio driver suite
 http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGuestDrivers

>    There already exits lots of virtio-* drivers on windows, a virtio-pci
>    driver is what kind of drivers?

>    And why need a virtio-pci driver?

Because linux already has 9pfs implemented over virtio-pci, so the three
missing pieces are:
 1. qemu: passing the operations over a spice channel (instead of
 directly running them on the host in ./hw/9pfs/virtio-9p-local.c)A
 2. windows driver
 3. client support