[Spice-devel] Status of USB redirection

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Mon Jun 3 04:42:20 PDT 2013

Hi,

On 06/03/2013 12:43 PM, Alexander Todorov wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I'm interested in USB redirection support in SPICE. Can you answer the following questions me or point me to the docs where they are answered:
>
> * What is the current status ? Website says in progress. What exactly does and doesn't work?

As long as you use a Linux client machine everything works. The windows spice client USB
support is not yet fully feature complete.

> * Doesn USB 2.0/3.0 work?

USB-2.0 work, simple USB-3.0 devices like usb 3.0 thumb drives work, but will show up
as a 2.0 device in the guest. Full 3.0 support is still a while away.

> * How do I setup redirection (or I need just the spice connection) ?

In virt-manager make sure you're using a spice connection, that the usb-controller
model is set to "Usb 2" and then add a number of USB Redirection devices, (up to 4,
having more then 1 allows you to redirect more then 1 USB device simultaneously).

> * Can SPICE and the USB redir code work on bare-metal or non KVM virtual machines ?

No (not atm, and unlikely to change soon)

Regards,

Hans