[Spice-devel] Questions regarding Bug 62033 - Means to detect local-only

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Tue Jun 25 03:16:43 PDT 2013

Hi

----- Mensaje original -----
> OK, so first implementation will work via --spice-disable-effects option. As
> far as I understand, this user-provided option flags should already be
> available at the agent, need to handle appropriate message as in Windows
> vdagent, correct?

There is already:
--spice-disable-effects=<wallpaper,font-smooth,animation,all>
--spice-color-depth=<16,32>

> Anyway, I still don't understand how we can control these effects on Linux
> desktops correctly - supporting only Gnome and not providing any means for
> other DEs to catch up seems to be bad design (I'm using KDE, for example;
> and even supporting both Gnome&KDE isn't solving this as there are a few
> more, fairly popular - Unity, XFce...). Also how interaction with this Gnome
> settings should be implemented? If via function call from some shared API,
> this adds on vdagent dependency (probably undesired by any other DE users) -
> so usage of dload() is expected?

I don't think there is a standard to handle those settings, so it will be likely a per-desktop implementation.

Probably the best performance improvements will be made by implementing the shared memory suggestions from Hans and Yonit, so I wouldn't worry much about desktop effects. Also, it is not necessarily the agent role to tweak settings like animation for all desktops, the desktop settings daemon could also handle it)

Cheers