[Spice-devel] Broken xf86-video-qxl commit

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Tue May 21 12:56:04 PDT 2013

>> Though the KMS driver still needs more work, I need to find some way
>> to notice we are running a 3D compositor and to stop any remoting for
>> the non-primary surface, otherwise it does still send a lot of
>> pointless stuff to the remote, and also does a fair bit of stalling in
>> the guest on update areas to do readback, when we should have just
>> rendered stuff with pixman in the guest.
>
> Yah; I've been swamped with some other stuff lately.  I was hoping to
> try to get my arms around the KMS driver and kibitz at some point in the
> hopefully-not-too-distant-future.  (I felt, for a brief period, that I
> understood the whole of the qxl driver, and your kms patches pushed me
> rather unceremoniously out of that fantasy world).

Well now that 90% of the driver is in the kernel, the kms userspace
bits are mostly just wrappers
around kernel functionality now.

Primarily the userspace driver has no idea about surface location or
surface ids anymore, the kernel manages the resources,
primary surface is totally handled inside the kernel.

Dave.